Winterize or Long Term Storage of Boats: Knowing When, and What to Do?
April 20, 2017
Whether you need to winterize your boat due to cold weather or for long-term storage due to the fact that you will not be using for a lengthy period of time, there are certain steps you must take to ensure it works properly after it comes out of its dormancy. If you fail to take the correct measures, it could lead to major problems when you wish to enjoy the waterways once again.
When to Winterize Your Boat in Australia
Winterize your boat before the temperatures dip below freezing. Keep watch on the weather reports once June approaches and do not get caught off guard. Plan your winterization far enough ahead of time to ensure you complete it before the weather changes.
How to Prepare Your Boat for Long-Term Storage or Winter Weather
- When your boat will be in dry storage, you may wish to take the batteries out of the boat depending upon its size in order to keep them with a charge while it is out of action. Also, top off the battery with electrolyte solution prior to charging and coat the connectors for the cables with a corrosion preventative.
- Change the oil and the oil filter
- Fill tanks with fuel along with the proper amount of stabilizer for the fuel
- Add coolant if necessary
- Install new fuel filters or separators
- If your boat has a raw-water cooling system, run antifreeze through it
- Drain the gear case when your boat has an outboard motor and add new lubricant
- Lock an outboard in the lowest position for storage
- Inspect the anodes and replace them if necessary
- When your boat contains a deck wash-down pump, run antifreeze through it along with your refrigeration unit if applicable
- Remove the cushions from the seats and store at home on their sides
- Turn off any circuit breakers
- Make certain that the bilges are clean and dry
- Cover the boat whether it is in the water during the winter or in dry storage. This keeps the boat clean and free of debris.
- Secure the steering wheel and tiller to prevent movement
- Lock the cabin if applicable, but the marine storage place may require a key to it
For further winterization information, consult your owner's manual or our establishment, Professional Marine Management. We provide a wide range of services to boat owners, including winterization and long-term storage of boats. Our mobile service is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day.